Sunday, January 16, 2011

Service - A Principle of Salvation

First, let me say that I am so surprised at the replies to my last blog and strengthened by the words of confidence and encouragement and thank you sincerely.

Since my last blog more blessings have come from my Heavenly Father. I realized that I needed to get out and serve. Opportunities to serve have come. We were asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting later in January. The invitation was given on the very day I wrote my last blog and was feeling so downhearted. Topic: adversity! It was as though the Lord said to me, "I know you, Kathy, and I think YOU may be able to give some encouragement to some folks in a couple of weeks."

The next week, which was last Monday, January 10th, we went to a Ward Family Home Evening at the bishop's home. I was given a calling to teach Sunday School. I love, LOVE! teaching the gospel!! The day before we attended Gospel Doctrine class and it was "the bomb!!" We had a great teacher (discussion leader) and there were so many contributions and the lesson just came alive for me. I felt the Lord whisper to me again, "I'll help you do something you love doing that will help you as you try to help others."

I signed up to have the Family History couple in the ward come visit us to answer questions and get us started on our genealogical work. They actually came a day earlier than our agreed appointment. I hadn't pulled out our records and wasn't prepared. But they stayed and we opened the computer to a whole new world!! Besides the NewFamilySearch website, the Jasters showed me four other websites which provided names on Don's family line he hadn't found before!! I felt the Lord telling me, "I have things for you to do and here's where you start."

Our Heavenly Father IS in the details of our lives. As for adversity, well, it is our blessing, isn't it! It is through adversity that we get out of comfort zones and search for Divine direction. The best antidote for discouragement, depression and disappointment is service - a principle of salvation. I'm thankful for the capacity to serve.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing and I sure LOVE you! I wish I was there to hear your gospel doctrine lessons and talks that you will give. Your new ward is so LUCKY to have you and Don. You are both such great examples of those who serve. Thanks for your post. I really needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are keeping busy and serving. So many times service has been my answer too :) Congrats on the new calling...you will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete