Monday, June 21, 2010

"Sister Carter" #1 (Krisitn) is on her way!!

Kristin left for Virginia on June 16th. She called us from the airport and we talked for over an hour. She sounds wonderful! We can sense her excitement to get to work. Then we didn't hear from her until Saturday. On mission stationary she wrote that she had arrived and some of her thoughts:

"My Dearest Parents,
Well I am here! I cannot even begin to tell you my experience. As the plane started to descend into Virginia I was totally at ease. I was excited but still not quite sure what the Lord has asked me to do. As we landed and met the mission president, my heart became more and more filled. Then we went to the parking garage (and sweat like dogs) while our dear elders packed our luggage in the trailer. Then we started to drive through Richmond. I cannot even begin to tell you what happened in my heart. I saw people drive next to me and I felt like they were my brothers and sisters and I had a fond love for them. I know this is where I am supposed to be. I have never felt more love from my Savior than I think today. He knows me and I am so excited to go do His work. This is the time to raise our voices, and the way the Lord wants us to. One of the first things President Milburn said was that we need to teach “real.” We are not robot missionaries.

I just had interviews with the mission president. He told me that he has been looking at my picture and been very excited to have me arrive. I have a feeling that this is going to go all too fast! I am grateful the Lord knows me. I am grateful for the opportunity to take this wonderful gift and place it in the homes of these wonderful people!

Mom, Dad, thank you for raising me in a righteous home. Dad thank you for listening to the missionaries. Please send me your conversion story! I am so grateful to my family and the blessings you have brought into my life. I will write again next Wednesday or sooner if possible. But for now, I am so excited to get to work!

I love you! Pray for me! I will pray every day that I will be able to teach with the Spirit. That I will be humble and willing to learn and listen! I pray for you! I love you!

God be with you till we meet again! Love,

Sister Carter"

It is apparent that Kristin has the mantle of a missionary as she talks about the huge love she feels for people she does not know, but in her heart they are her brothers and sisters. It is a miracle! I kind of enormous emotion I know is real. I experienced it as a young woman on my first mission.

She is in good company when she says she doesn’t know what the Lord wants her to do. Nephi had the same experience and said, “I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.” He was a “go and do” guy. Kristin must be a “go and do” missionary.

In my mind there is one word which describes missionary work - “INTENSE.” Did you notice all the exclamation points in Kristin’s letter? She’s feeling it.

We are so proud of Kristin. We appreciate her willingness to serve the Lord. What a marvelous opportunity for her.

I think it is interesting to note that she is presently one of seven missionaries serving from the Onaga Trail Ward:

Elder Preston Freeland – Washington, D.C. South Mission

Elder Levi Sackett – Marshall Islands Mission

Elder Dane Jensen – Texas Houston Mission (Spanish)

Elder Armando Castillio – Illinois Chicago (Mongolian)

Elder Bryce Robinson – Washington, D.C. North Mission

Elder Jimmy Benke – Ecuador - Galapagos Islands Mission

To be added to the list on August 9th will be

Elder and Sister Carter – Mongolian Ulaanbaatar Mission

But that’s not all! This week Brother and Sister Mayo should be receiving their mission call to Heaven alone knows where. They will top us out at ELEVEN missionaries from the Onaga Trail Ward, Yucca Valley Stake, California. What an exciting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment