Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Joyful Reunion with "Sister Brugger" - still sisters in the Lord




"Sister Puckett and Sister Brugger"
We were companions in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada from November 1977 to January 1978. Not a long time but long enough to become dear to one another. I was Marianne's first companion and she was my last companion over 32 years ago. She was a darling then and an even sweeter person today. Back then she was "Sister Brugger" and I was "Sister Puckett."

Together we had some very special experiences which made an eternal impact on me. I remember preparing to teach a man who was not Christian but whose wife was a member of the Church. Teaching a non-Christian was new to me and I wondered out loud how we would convince this man about Jesus Christ. My "junior companion" knew exactly how to go about it - we would teach him about Joseph Smith seeing God, the Father and Jesus Christ. The Spirit would witness to him that it was true and he would know by a power beyond anything we had. This man did join the Church.

Another experience we shared was when our mission president, Pres. Scott, gave us one 24-hour period to read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover. He told us about Parley Pratt's experience of reading the entire book without stopping to eat or sleep. Every missionary in the mission would do likewise. It was a powerful experience for me. I didn't finish reading that day and got to the end of the book of Ether. Sister Brugger, on the other hand, read the entire book. Her reaction has stayed with me ever since. She pointed out how that Jesus Christ was spoken of on nearly every page of the book. Years later when the official title was changed to The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, I knew exactly why. I loved Sister Brugger's insight.

We went tracting in the pouring rain, ran after city buses, prayed together, taught the gospel together and laughed and cried together. We learned from one another - me more than she! She helped me finish my mission well. She was a blessing to me then and we have stayed in touch over the years until about three years ago when my Christmas card came back. We came back into contact with one another when she happened to pass "Sister Puckett" at the MTC. It was my niece, Jill Puckett who gave Marianne information which brought us back in touch with one another.

Seeing Marianne again after all these years was a joy! She is real. She does not put on airs. She is as genuine a person as I have ever met and I loved being with her. In fact, she welcomed us into her home where we stayed three nights and two days then she and her husband, Frank took us to the MTC. We got to meet their four daughters and two sons-in-law who are lovely people. They opened their home and hearts to Don and me. We ate Marianne's canned beats and pickles and homemade bread and her specialty soups. And we never grew tired of visiting and remembering. It was so fun - a joyful time.

This is Julianna the pastry chef.
She baked these cupcakes in our honor.
They were as yummy as they were pretty to look at!

This is Ann Marie.
She served her mission in Spain
and works in registration on the night shift at the local hospital ER.

I'm sorry I did not get pictures of the Christina or Sarah, their other two daughters. They are darling girls!! They love each other and are happy to be together.

Marianne's present calling is to tutor individual missionaries at the MTC. She will go whenever she is needed to read and discuss the Book of Mormon with young, struggling missionaries. Frank serves as a counselor in an MTC branch presidency. There are between 50 and 70 missionaries in a branch. Frank is gone most of the day on Sunday as he helps lead and strengthen young missionaries. It is a perfect calling for a former stake president and bishop.

Marianne reminded me that our reunion was similar to Alma and the sons of Mosiah when they met up while traveling toward Zarahemla. They were so glad to see one another and the scripture says, "...and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord..." What added great joy to our reunion was that we are still "sisters in the Lord."

2 comments:

  1. Just more proof that serving a full time mission--as hard as it is---continues to bring blessings and strengthen sweet eternal relationships for the rest of our lives! So glad you had a chance to spend a few days together. What a great way to begin your next full time mission:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Kathy. It was such a joy to have you in our home. We have missed you since you left. Your blog about our time together brought back many beautiful memories. It is rare that the first part of a mission is the best part, but that is how it was for me.
    If you go to my blog at thedittmarfamilypage.blogspot.com you can see pictures of Kathy and I "before and after".

    ReplyDelete